Additional Fees
Level of Comfort
Number of Destinations
Quality of Food

Yesterday I received a phone call from American Airlines telling me that I had 25,000 in my account and that they were going to expire in two days. However, they could extend the expiration of such miles if I paid $ 60.00. So, I decided to make a little investigation about whether I could book a flight to the East Coast (any city in the New Hampshire, Vermont, Delaware, Maine, Connecticut area. I looked for the flights and all of them had extremely bad connections. It took 16, 17, 18, 19 hours to go from Minneapolis to any destination in the East Coast. So, I decided to investigate what cities were served directly by American Airlines from the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Airport. I found that they do not go to many places: Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Miami, New York, Philadelphia and Phoenix.

As I was planning my travel in the summer I wanted a location that was not too hot, so I decided to check flights for Philadelphia.

I was booking a trip for two persons, so I found that I was short of 25,000 to complete my travel. Then they gave me the option to purchase miles. I did not want to purchase more miles than I needed, so I looked precisely at how much would be to purchase the 25,000 I needed. The price came out to be $ 608.45 (I will try to post the picture in this post if I can). This seemed to me too high.

So, I decided to find out how much would these flights cost if I were to book my trip on American Airlines just buying the tickets through Expedia, and this is when my hat went off: Expedia was selling the same tickets that would have cost me 25,000 miles plus $ 608.45 using miles for $ 199.00 each ticket (Again, I will be posting this picture).

The inevitable conclusion is that American Airlines miles are worthless. It is better to book without them, and in addition there were other airlines that offered the same flight even cheaper than American Airlines.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Airlines Flight.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Sell the miles to customers at the same price that you give it to banks for their miles promotions on cards.

Comments

They gave me a choice to sign up and eat out of certain restaurants with their program and they would not expire my miles... They did of course, but allowed me to spend $400 to get 38,000 back...

That is not worth it unless I would need the 38000 to save money on a flight... Regardless your miles will expire...

ALL OF YOU PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT AIRLINE TRAVEL SHOULD TAKE YOUR NEXT TRIP ON THE GREYHOUND BUS. YOU'LL NEVER COMPLAIN AGAIN!