Salt Lake City, Utah
1.7

I booked a flight on AA well before date of travel so that I could avoid high ticket pricing. Six hours before my return from Salt Lake City, I was notified (via my AA App) that my direct flight had been cancelled.

They had graciously rebooked me on a flight with a 3.5 hour layover in Phoenix, arriving at DFW at 8pm. If that wasn't acceptable I could call or go online and book my own return flight. I went online and was able to book a direct flight arriving at DFW around 1pm. Once home, I requested a refund and received notice on 8/22 that my credit card would be refunded $102.10 - the amount of the original ticket I had purchased.

My replacement ticket cost $287.10. I contacted AA and was told the replacement ticket was so expensive because I had purchased it hours before takeoff. Are you kidding me? Since then I have learned that you cannot actually call someone regarding refunds.

You must write a letter, which I did on 8/31. I spoke to an Advantage Representative on 9/21 who yelled at me which I was trying to talk, put me on 30 min hold, and then refused to let me speak to her supervisor. On 9/22, I faxed a copy of my original letter, I have left a message on their Customer Relations page, on their FB. I actually received this PM two days ago: "We've heard back from our Refunds team and they advise a refund of $102.10 was processed back to the original form of payment on 8/20/2016.

The additional ticket you purchased wouldn't qualify for refund, as we either would have rebooked or refunded your original ticket. We're sincerely sorry for any disappointment." I sent them a PM asking for a name and phone number of an actual person that could speak with me and I'm still waiting on a response of some kind. Surely I'm not the only one experiencing this frustration. I have been a loyal AA flyer for many years, although I don't fly as often as a lot of people do.

I do have 180,000 miles but that doesn't even get me to an elite status so that's pretty much useless. My flight was booked. I paid $185 more for this ticket than my original ticket. If each person paid an average of $100 more for their replacement ticket AA is making money, instead of losing it for having to cancel a flight.

This doesn't include the $$ they saved by not flying that plane at all.

I've posted several times on their FB page, filled out their complaint form several times... Is there anything else anyone can suggest that might get a response from them?

Product or Service Mentioned: American Airlines Customer Care.

American Airlines Cons: Customer service flight cancelation.

• Rip-Off
  • poor acountablity

Comments

180,000 miles would get you to Europe on off season 4 times. Those miles are not useless.

I use American airlines all the time and their advantage program is one of the best. I had a flight cancelled and called. They rebooked me to Europe at no charge for a more expensive flight because I asked. They couldn't have been nicer about it.

Maybe it was more because you bought a new ticket instead of letting them rebook your flight? I have nothing but good things to say about their program.

#1220724

This is what you agreed to. When an airline cancels a flight, they have an obligation to reschedule your flight or grant you a refund for the unused portion.

When a ticket is partially used, the airline basis the refund for a roundtrip by subtracting the cost of the flights you have taken from the total. This often results in a much lower refund then one would think.

New York to Dallas cost $600.00 round trip. Fly to Dallas, return flight cancelled. One would think the refund should be $300.00.

No. The airlines says that a one way ticket purchased on the date you initially purchased your roundtrip ticket would have cost $400.00.

Subtracting this $400.00, which is what they consider the value of the flight you took, from the $600.00 leaves a refund of only $200.00 for the cancelled return flight. Pretty slick, huh?

American Airlines Reviews