Plano, Texas

I bought a round trip ticket from Dallas (DFW) to Norfolk, VA (ORF) for a total of $460. I wanted to change my return to leave from Baltimore (BWI) instead of ORF.

On AA.com the one-way from BWI to DFW was $123. I guess I don't change reservations often because I was unaware that the fee increase to $200 per segment! That's not the crazy part though. The csr I spoke with put me on hold for ~5 minutes while she called to get the price difference.

I paid $230 - $200 change fee + $123 = $153 right (I understand that I should just buy the ticket for $123, but I wanted to see where this was going). She comes back and tells me it's going to be $645 to change the flight!

What the *** sense does that make?

They suck!

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Comments

You in effect want an entirely different type of ticket. Originally, you had a round trip ticket to Norfolk.

Now you want a circular route from Dallas to Norfolk and then from Baltimore to Dallas. This is similar to getting a ticket from New York to Seattle and then San Francisco to New York. This type of circular trips are always much more expensive then round trips.

As a result the price of that kind of ticket is going to be significantly more than what your original round trip cost.

Remember the $645 includes $200 to change the ticket, so the extra cost of this new type of ticket is only $445.

The proper comparison is to price what the original cost could have been for this circular route. That price is probably as much or more than the total of your $460 original plus the $445 extra.

American Airlines Reviews