Maui County, Hawaii

Here is our travel story which starts off great and ends sadly. We booked our trip to Maui with American Airlines in March 2015 using almost all our miles we had accumulated over the past several years.

We were able to go first class both ways and were excited for our upcoming trip. The day before we were to leave I checked in on the American Airlines site and had an error message that our confirmation code did not work. I had to call American Airlines to find out why I could not check in. Customer Service said I needed to get an Alaskan Airlines code and go on Alaskan Airlines site to enter it in since American had booked us with Alaskan.

I went to the site and entered it in and was able to check in finally. We had a pleasant flight there and enjoyed our time in Maui until it was time to come home. At the Resort I went to the Business Center to check in before our flight. I went to the Alaskan site and used their confirmation code and had an error message that said we would have to check in at the airport.

Went to the airport arrived at 12 pm for a 1:25 pm flight and was told our plane left for San Diego at 10:30 am. Alaskan said since American booked us they were responsible for notifying us of any changes and that they sound of sent 3 emails if there is a change in flights. We did not receive any notification. Our choices were to buy 2 tickets on Hawaii Air to Honolulu and then on to San Diego or take a red eye flight and get in 2 pm the following day.

We choose to go the Honolulu route so we could arrive home in order to work the next day. We did not know that this would turn into a $300.00 expense for tickets, baggage (which we did not have to pay for on American or Alaska) and meals (which should have been included on our first class flight). Once we got to Honolulu we were told we would have to collect our baggage and re-check it and make our flight within 20 minutes. This involved me going to the gate to try to convince them to wait for my husband to bring 2 sets of luggage clear across the airport without any help.

We were told if I left the gate they would give our tickets to someone else. I was brought to tears at the thought of what my husband was going through and the possibility of us missing our flight. No one offered any help the customer service was unacceptable. We made our flight with sweat dripping off my husband and his arm and leg going numb from maneuvering 2 full size suitcases and 2 carryons through the airport.

We did our best to calm down as we tried to enjoy our coach tickets instead of first class that we had earned. Our resolve was that I was sure American would take care of us when we returned home. Wrong, there is no customer service person to talk to. You have to go online to file a complaint with all the pertinent information and wait for their email reply.

Once you get their email reply you cannot reply to it you have to re submit another email online. I have spent a couple of days going back and forth in this fashion to get some kind of compensation. The only compensation they will issue is (2) $150.00 vouchers to book another flight within 12 months and possibly they will return some of our miles but we have not heard from that department yet. Where can you go for $150.00 and American did not care enough to phone or compensate at the minimum of 2 one way tickets or the $300.00 in cash we are out because of them not sending us an email or text about the change of flight.

I needed to get my story out there to prevent other mishaps like this one and to be heard as I still have not been able to talk to anyone at American. To say the least we are very disappointed and are contemplating our next action.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Airlines Baggage Policy.

American Airlines Pros: Finally getting home.

American Airlines Cons: Poor customer service.

Comments

I entered "what is the relationship between American Airlines and Alaskan Airlines" in a search engine and found an American Airlines website page about that relationship. It said " Enjoy more flight options throughout the United States with Alaska Airlines

Thanks to our enhanced codeshare relationship with Alaska Airlines, enjoy additional nonstop service throughout the United States.

We offer nonstop flights between the West Coast and Portland (PDX), Seattle (SEA) and San Diego (SAN).

In addition, you can enjoy flights to the East Coast including:

Boston (BOS), Washington D.C. (DCA) and Orlando (MCO)

Plus, paradise awaits with new routes between the Bay Area and Hawaii, including:

Nonstop flights between San Jose (SJC), Sacramento (SMF) and Oakland (OAK) and Honolulu (HNL), Kona (KOA), Kauai (LIH) and Maui (OGG)" It goes on to explain that Alaskan operates the flight and American just sells that part of the ticket.

Interesting reading and it might provide some facts to argue with them.

American Airlines Reviews