Bethesda, Maryland

I am one of the latest victims of American Airlines.

I had booked a vacation from the East coast to Hawaii several months ago. I was informed a couple of days ago that the initial leg of my return flight had been cancelled. The alternative flights that American Airlines offered involved an extra layover (increasing from 1 to 2 stops) and an increase in travel time of 6-8 hours.

I felt that this unacceptable and requested some form of compensation. DENIED! I was informed the the airline (ONLY) reserves the right to make schedule changes as "they" seemed in THEIR best interest regardless of its effects on the traveler.

I next requested that only the "return leg" itinerary be cancelled and I would book with another carrier. This was stated possible only after they withhold what would be the "current" price of a oneway ticket for the outgoing flight. Now, much closer to the departure date, this oneway ticket cost exceeded the price of the prior round trip fare. So much for a refund.

If this seems fair, could someone please explain the reason(s) to me. Two reservation agents, two supervisors, and a manager were unable to convince me of fairness of this policy:(.

In the past I have tried to fly American Airlines if the route was available. I have now booked my LAST flight with American.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Airlines Flight Booking.

Comments

No, the ticket was purchased directly from the American Airlines web site.

No, the tickets were purchased directly from the American Airlines web site.

There is more to that story than what you are telling us. It must have been a discount ticket that was sold cheaply to fill empty seats and I'm sure they tried to inform you about the fine print that goes with those.

American Airlines Reviews