1.4
Additional Fees
Level of Comfort
Quality of Food

I have never been treated so abusively by any company in my life, and I am 66 years old. For a vacation, my wife and I were scheduled to fly through Chicago to Reno on the evening of Christmas Day, arriving in Reno around 11 pm, and then back to New York on New Year's Eve, arriving in NY around 6 pm.

First, American Airlines canceled our flight to Chicago and Reno and unilaterally put us on a flight leaving 6 hours earlier out of a different airport, and gave us "notice" via a single email, with no effort to make sure we got the message. Now American Airlines has canceled our flight back to New York that was to leave at 10 am on December 31, and would get us home by dinner time, and tried to put us on a red-eye leaving the night before (December 30) with a lay-over in Chicago. When we objected, they offered a flight leaving at 6:15 am, which is only minimally better than a red-eye since it means we will have to be up, packed and on the road to the airport by 4 am.

Essentially, American Airlines is taking 2 days away from us: Christmas Day, when we had to cancel a family brunch because they changed our flight from early evening to mid-day, and December 30, as we now have to either be at the airport by early evening for the red-eye flights or be prepared to leave our vacation rental in the middle of the night to catch a 6:15 am flight on December 31. What kind of a company thinks it is good business to give their customers a big "screw you"?

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Flight cancellations and rebooking practices.

Comments

How they just cancel flights is amazing. We were waiting for an incoming plane.

They kept delaying and delaying saying the plan was coming in. Leading us all to believe they were monitoring the plane coming in.

Then all of a sudden it’s cancelled?

Like the plane coming in just vanished

I will never fly American. United and Southwest for me.

to Anonymous #1424011

"Then all of a sudden it’s cancelled?"

You probably shouldn't fly again. This thing can happen with any airline at nearly anytime for reasons ranging from weather delays to crew time outs due to weather delays.

I'm sure no one made you think they were running in the back checking the radar for regular updaes.