Franklin, Massachusetts

American Airlines is the worst airline I have ever dealt with. I had to cancel an international flight for a vacation that I was supposed to go on- however my 24 year old brother died unexpectedly 3 days prior to my trip.

I notified American Airlines immediately, and they refused to issue a full refund because I didn't purchase trip insurance. They had no compassion or empathy for what I (their CUSTOMER) was going through. I was told to promptly send them a death certificate and I would be issued a refund. I did so within the same week- and was notified that they received all of my information I sent them.

A refund was never issued. I have followed up weekly for 6 weeks now. And I have not gotten any responses. I have spent HOURS on the phone with customer service representatives who have advised me that only one department deals with refunds.

Additionally, I have sent several faxes to TWO different departments at American Airlines attaching the death certificate and all of my previous correspondence. STILL- I have not gotten an answer. I was even told by a customer service MANAGER that she would escalate my issue, and she provided me with an additional number to fax, and my issue STILL has not been resolved. Not only has it not been resolved, but American Airlines has refused to respond to me.

I will NEVER use American Airlines again. My hotel was refunded immediately, and you're telling me it takes 6+ weeks to even get a hold of ANYONE at the airline that can assist me???

I am an attorney, and this is surely a violation of the Massachusetts consumer protection laws covered under MGL chapter 93A and I will be contacting additional counsel as well as the Better Business Bureau. THIS IS 100% an unfair and deceptive act on behalf of American Airlines.

Product or Service Mentioned: American Airlines Flight Booking.

Comments

I am a lawyer, and I don't think you are one. You would have known that "Nonrefundable tickets generally cannot be refunded.

However, exceptions may be available for refund of the unused portion of the ticket under the following circumstances:

•Upon death of a family member or traveling companion, the ticket may be refunded to the original form of payment if the ticket included international travel ... and supporting documents are provided."

You would have also know that "If you paid for your tickets with a credit card, you will see the refund credit on one of your next two statements. This depends on the billing cycle of your credit card company. You will receive no other notification except for the refund credit on your credit card statement." Thus, the refund will come back to your credit card without further notice to you.

Calling, etc. does no good once the claim is submitted.

In that you did not reference this, I doubt you are an attorney, since that would have been the first thing you mentioned.

Also, an attorney would have sent a letterhead letter, certified, return receipt, with the information to put pressure on the airlines to respond.

You are obviously not an attorney.

American Airlines Reviews